Wednesday 5 December 2007

Gazza - His story


Do you guys remember Gazza?He used to be a football super star in the English Premier League.He had quite a carrier as a footballer and I think now he is into management of one of the club in the lower league.I think now he is already near to 40 years old.
When I bought his biography book "Gazza-My Story", I don't really intend to read it immediately because I am not such a big fan of him.But one night, I just start to read it and somehow I find myself really enjoy reading the book.
Gazza or his real name Paul Gascoigne was born in Newcastle,UK. Since his young age football is his life.In fact, it is the only thing that he likes and that is the thing that he want to do for the rest of his life.
In the book, he mentioned lots of places in Newcastle that I am familiar with.Kinda cool to think that I have been to the place that he had been.
For your information,Gazza has always being the star of any football team that he has ever joined.And this was back dated way back since his first involvement in a junior club level.
Even though people from his club always joked about he was too fat to be a footballer, he never gave up in being a footballer.
He make his debut for his hometown team Newcastle United FC when he was 17.He do not take that long in making headline on the press.He also involved with England U21 team.
He wass so good during his day at Newcastle United that even Manchester United manager, Alex Ferguson approached him.But to his silliness he rejected the offer and somehow decided to accept offer from Tottenham Hotspurs FC instead.
Well I have to agreed with Sir Alex,Gazza made a bad choice.If he joined Manchester United instead,I do believe he would be a better footballer because Sir Alex is so good with managing young footballer.
Gazza had his ups and down at Spurs,winning one FA Cup medal and broke his leg in that FA Cup final.
During this time,Lazio FC from Italy swoop in and bring him to Serie A.
His involvement in the England senior squad is quite memorable. I do remember his "crying face" when England went out from The 1990 World Cup semi final lost to West Germany. After that baby face cry,somehow Gazza was saluted like a war hero by his fellow countryman. Maybe it shows his patriotism.
In Serie A, he did not play much due to injury.His hot headed attitude did not help the situation to be better as well.Then thing started to get wrong very much for him.Reading the book, I found that Gazza is a spontaneous kind of guy and obviously a little bit crazy minded guy.(A happy go lucky should be more appropriate I guess).He had a spell with Middlesbrough,Glasgow Rangers, Everton and he even had a stint at a Chinese football club.
I believe he did not finished his carrier on high.If only he accepted the offer from Man Utd!!
It will be a major turning point in his carrier,I believe.
Well,overall I enjoyed reading the book and actually it is fun to learn about other people's life.
This reading is a must for every Gazza fan out there.(rating : 7 / 10)

No comments: