Wednesday 12 December 2007

Fuel cells ...no more engine?


Found this book at the library. Fuel cells is not actually my topic of interest as I am trying to narrow my view more to the classical internal combustion engine type of problems/solution. Yet I found quite tempted to read this book and I had a go with it. After that, I am very impressed with the author/editor of the book, Prof. Rob Thring from Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering Department at Loughborough University, UK. (I might have ended up there actually, I had chance to join this university but I decided to go to Newcastle University)The writing is good and very easily understandable for a person like me, a guy who know nothing about fuel cells.
This book tells you about types of fuel cells, such as alkaline fuel cell, solid oxide fuel cell and direct methanol fuel cells. Fuel sources such as hydrogen also were discussed. This book also tells you on the concept of how to store the hydrogen inside the vehicle. Simulation of fuel cell vehicle was also discussed.
I also noticed that this book was first published in year 2004, so by now probably all the technology mentioned in the book might probably have some updated version. But even so, I am very excited about one particular thing mentioned in the book. It is about an invention by General Motors(GM), where the demonstrated a fuel cell vehicle known as Hy-Wire which reflects the idea of reinventing the automobile to take the advantage of a fuel cell power plant’s characteristics. So I looked up for it and found that Hy-Wire is quite a cool invention. The car operates by hydrogen fuel cell and do not have an internal combustion engine and hydraulics system. All are control by a controller. You can check this site for more information about the car http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hy-wire.htm or http://archive.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2002/paris/preview/gm-hywire/
The car invented in year 2002, so imagine by now the technology must be more highly crafted.
Well, just want to say that this book is quite enjoyable to read and very informative if you want to know about fuel cells. [Rating: (9/10)]

No comments: